Saturday, March 1, 2008

TA's experienes: Dilemmas or difficulties?

As a first year TA for a Spanish 1 class at the University of California, Davis, I have had some situations of adjustment, trial and error, and many learning experiences that are continuing to help me understand and grow as a language instructor. Far from mastering this art of teaching, I have encountered some difficulties as a TA in front of and behind the scenes. I start this blog now you invite you, TA's of language or whatever field you're in, to share your dilemmas or difficulties as TA's through out your career and through out this quarter and solutions if any, that have worked in the past or that you are planning on implementing for yourself or for your class. My goal with this blog is to start an open dialogue and to share ideas with each other so we can help each other out!

As you respond to this blog, please keep in mind the following questions:
1) What are some current events in your teaching life?
2) What are some dilemmas or difficulties you are encountering this quarter as you teach or TA?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

One of the ongoing dilemmas in my class is what I feel is a lack of
connection between the students and I. I often feel like I'm teaching to chirping crickets, and, while I try to get them to ask me questions when they don't understand, I often won't discover that the majority of the class is confused about what I have just said until after they try to
start working on an activity. To address this, I have tried to give
directions more slowly and with more translations and examples. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes my group is just dead. I also try to liven things up by making more jokes or stupid comments; usually this warms them up to me a little better and they speak up about their confusions.

Los Profes said...

What are some current events in your teaching life?
2) What are some dilemmas or difficulties you are encountering this quarter as you teach or TA?

In general T.A.ing Spanish 1 the second time around is much easier, above all because I know the system we use here better. One unexpected issue regarding testing came up today. I usually send students an e-mail as (what I thought of as) an additional heads up about what they should focus on for the exam. It's always been unofficial and not meant to be all-inclusive, but when I started checking their tests today, I noticed that no one in the class had even given a second look at a piece of information (country capitals) I left out of this 'heads-up' e-mail. Unwittingly, I've created a 'study guide' they take 'al pie de la letra' (if it's not in the e-mail, it must not be on the test, even if it's in the book and workbook). I think what one can take away from this is the need for
consistency and clarity as you set expectations. Students will generally look for the quickest and easiest way to do something (understandable -- they're busy), so you have to be careful, even when trying to lend them a 'helping hand.'

manosdemonja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.